The CTPA education portal | Free educational resources for Schools and Colleges
Give Your Self-esteem a Makeover!
Self-esteem is the way we feel about ourselves.
If we have high self-esteem, we generally feel positive about ourselves. We are usually happy, take both good and bad things in our stride and look forward to the future.
Signs of high self-esteem
- a ’can do’ attitude that is both cooperative and independent
- a ’no blame’ attitude
- awareness of both strengths and limitations
- good personal care – dresses well and cares about appearance
An ability to:
- learn from mistakes and accept that others make mistakes too
- solve problems
- trust people
- say no
- respond to all sorts of emotions
If we have low esteem, we generally feel negative about ourselves. We are unhappy and focus on our weaknesses and mistakes. We may blame ourselves or others for difficulties and worry about what the future holds.
Signs of low self-esteem
- lack of confidence
- fear of taking risks
- fear of being laughed at or ridiculed
- pessimism and a negative view of life
- perfectionism, but the high standard set can never be achieved
- blaming themselves and others
- poor personal care – neglects appearance
- inability to make decisions – lets others decide instead
- not trusting people
- inability to say no
Worksheet: How's Your Self-Esteem?