Why would an employer pick you?
Employers will want to employ somebody who is enthusiastic, rounded and balanced. They will want to know about you as a person. If you make the best of yourself, it will make you feel good. This inner confidence will show through in things that you do, including applying for a job or place at college.
When choosing a career, it helps to know something about the way businesses and companies work. If a business is a large organisation, for example, a large cosmetics company, then there may be many departments within it and each will contribute to its success. Some sectors of business may be:
- Research and development – looking for new ideas, trying to find out what people want
- Marketing – making a product desirable to people, selling the product in the right way, and making people aware that it exists
- Manufacturing – actually making the product.
- Finance – making sure that the business is making money and using it in the right ways
- Human resources – looking after the people in the company, recruitment, training and welfare.
Different companies are run in different ways. Before applying for a job with a company, you should try to find out as much as possible about it and the way it works – look at the company website to find out more about them. Then you are more informed about whether you might like to work for that company.